Friday, September 25, 2009

Homecoming Football

By Sammi Powers

To most people I don’t seem like the sporting type, and on some level they’re right. I’m not very athletic, but I love to watch live sporting events. In high school, I went to our football games and sat with the band.

The game was always a little more interesting when I was sitting with the band. My friends were all there and my favorite history teacher led the call of “Charge!” with his trumpet.
At SXU it’s different to be at a football game. I don’t sit with the band—mostly because I don’t have friends in the band—but I make my own music. I make sure at every game I bring my tambourine so that I can follow along to our fight song.

I try to sit as close to the fifty yard line as possible and I like to try to pick out boys I went to high school with who are on the team.

Needless to say, I am really excited about the homecoming football game this Saturday. I really think that the strong presence of alumni, current students, and parents shows the sense of community that SXU is always promoting.

I like nothing better than the undertones of fall air, the exuberant whoops of the crowd as our boys rush toward the endzone, and the scoreboard lighting up with one touchdown after another (for the Cougars, of course).

I hope to see each and every one of you out in the stands Saturday at 7 p.m. as the Cougars take another victory. If sports don’t suit your fancy, there are fireworks afterwards.
So come for the fireworks and root for Scarlet and Grey!

Sammi Powers is a junior communications major from Romeoville. She is deputy Viewpoints editor for The Xavierite and program director for WXAV 88.3 FM. Consideration for the student bloggers is provided by Saint Xavier University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.