Monday, October 19, 2009

MY SOCIAL ADVENTURES: Shannon Center

By Ifeanyi Onwumah

Anyone one who has ever seen me around campus can immediately tell that I am not the strongest or most athletic guy they’ve come across, not even by a long shot. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always been into sports – I just was never good at them.

Coming into college, I was warned about the freshman fifteen; the pounds you gain due to your lack of mobility and the long amount of hours you spend sitting while in class or studying, etc. This didn’t bother me because I considered myself a scrawny kid and I was never any good at gaining weight (not for lack of trying!). Incoming freshmen were also encouraged to visit the Shannon Center gym as often as they could so they could stay active and in shape. I also brushed this warning aside and went through my whole freshman year without visiting the gym once!

Then came summer and I wanted to use the time off to play basketball, soccer (THE BEST SPORT IN THE WORLD!), and just have fun with my friends. I immediately noticed that I was always either the slowest or one of the slowest on the court or field. It turned out that even though I hadn’t physically gained pounds, I had lost a few steps due to my inactivity for such a long duration. To be so slow at my age and size was so embarrassing that I just had to remedy it!

This was when I decided to take advantage of one of the coolest facilities the school has made available to us; The Shannon Athletic Center! I have been in there before but never inside the weight room. Luckily for me, I started visiting during the summer when few students were accessing the gym. This gave me a chance to start working out slowly at my own pace and not worry about the intimidating football players who lifted dumbbells and bench pressed twice my weight. (no joke!).

After the first three weeks, I began to notice changes in my physique and when I looked in the mirror at home, I liked what I saw and this encouraged me to go on. I made working out my hobby and made sure I did it at least three times a week. I also researched some workout plans that made my workout more effective. I have to say that I am impressed with the quality of the exercise equipment that the university provides for its students. They have a wide range of professional grade equipments that allows you to get a complete and satisfactory workout whenever you visit.

I can honestly say that visiting the Shannon Center has changed my life for the better. I noticed a considerable amount of improvement in my movement on the playground and this ultimately improved my game. Things have significantly slowed down now that the school year is already under way but I still make sure that I don’t go for long periods of time without visiting the gym like I did during my freshman year. I encourage every student to visit the Shannon Center as much as they can because it can make a big difference in your lifestyle. Besides, being fit and healthy makes you a smarter and well-rounded student, and who wouldn’t want that?

Ifeanyi Onwumah is a sophomore philosophy major from South Holland. He participates in several campus clubs. Consideration for the student bloggers is provided by Saint Xavier University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.