Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Preparing for the GRE

By Amanda Holmes

A couple weeks ago I posted an interview with an SXU alumni on “life after SXU.” In that post I mentioned that this subject is something I have been thinking about a lot lately. I will be graduating at the end of next semester and my own post-graduation plans involve grad school in philosophy.

Preparing for and applying to grad school is daunting. I’ve spent the past couple months researching programs, working on a writing sample, writing a personal statement and studying for the dreaded Graduate Record Examination Test, the GRE.

The GRE is similar to the ACT or the SAT. It’s a general test with a verbal, a quantitative, and a writing portion. From what I’ve heard, it is weighed pretty heavily in the application to most grad programs in the humanities. I’ve been reviewing math formulas every morning and I’ve been carrying around vocabulary flash cards every day.

After months of studying, that fateful day is approaching all too quickly. I take the GRE this Monday. gulp.

The SXU library has a number of practice tests for the GRE, the LSAT, the MCAT, and the GMAT. This has been an invaluable resource for me. Not only are there practice tests but there are also quick quizzes, reviews for each section, and test taking tips.

Anyway, I should get back to studying for this. Wish me luck!

Amanda Holmes is a senior philosophy major from Atlanta, GA. She is vice president of the Philosophy Club. Consideration for the student bloggers is provided by Saint Xavier University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.