Thursday, March 11, 2010

Campus Resources Worth Knowing About

By Brittany Jones

Today, I would like to talk about a couple of campus offices I found very helpful this year. I hope they help you as well!

Last year, I was contemplating studying abroad for summer 2009. I saw a sign outside of the Andrew conference center saying that the Center for International Education was inside. I never saw anyone at that front desk and asked the switchboard along with a couple other resources for a number to call. I was told the head lady was on maternity leave and therefore I could not get a hold of her. I was very bummed because I was missing out on an opportunity of a lifetime because we could only rely on this one lady to make it happen? I was wrong!

I stumbled upon offices towards the back of the ACC, behind that big “study abroad” desk. That is where there are MULTIPLE people that can help you discover other countries. I had basically forgotten about the idea of studying abroad until I poked my head into one of the offices and began talking to her about my options. I am SOOO excited to say that this summer I will be studying for one month in Florence, Italy with my best friend! If you are thinking about doing it, I highly recommend at least talking to one of them and looking at your possibilities… It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

Another random office I found helpful here at SXU was the Counseling and Career Services office. I honestly never thought of going into this office until I had to have my resume checked as part of a student leadership application. So … I was forced!

But I am so glad I was because the lady that sat down with me read over and marked up my resume with a ton of very professional and great ideas. She was extremely nice and didn’t keep me there all day. I really think going over your resume with a professional who knows what employers are looking for is a great idea. It’s quick, easy, painless and, best of all, free.

While I was in there I took the opportunity to be blunt and said “soo... what do you guys do here?” She laughed and said that they can help you find internship opportunities, part-time jobs, or full-time careers. She said you can go in there with things like cover letters and personal statements and they will help you fix em up so they are just right. Lastly they can help you with grad school or job applications. I hope you use my advice and take advantage of a great opportunity for free professional help and guidance!

Good luck women’s and men’s basketball teams at their national tournaments this week!!! I hope you all take advantage of the beautiful weather while you wait patiently for my next post. ; )

Brittany Jones is a sophomore I/O psychology major from Tinley Park, IL. She is a Student Government Association senator, Vice President of the American Red Cross Club, and a forward on the Women's basketball team. Consideration for the student bloggers is provided by Saint Xavier University.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.