Monday, April 19, 2010

Baseball and SXU Traditions

By Mark Siefert

Thanks for everyone who came out to support the baseball team as Residence Life and the Shannon Center threw what looked like from the field a very fun tailgate. It’s nice to see so many people at our games and usually when the weather is nice we have pretty decent crowds. I read an article in the Xavierite the other day that the author stated he had never been to a baseball or softball game in his four years.

With the nice weather, and the closing of a semester the thought crossed my mind, why don’t more students come to baseball and softball games. Its weird to me, people will sit at a football game when it is 30 degrees but not at a baseball or softball game when it is 70 degrees.

I wish we would have more fans, so I’m asking students on nice afternoons when there is a baseball game, stop by. Bring friends, it’s nice to hang and tan, or sit on a blanket and just watch the game.

Next, this past weekend was the epitome of busy at SXU. I think every fall and spring sport were in action. You could walk around the athletic fields and every one of them was full. I think this time of year is awesome for all athletes, the weather is perfect and the spring usually puts a little extra in everyone’s step.

Lastly, there are two SXU traditions that happen within a week of each other, and that I believe are underrated and deserve more attention.

SXU Late night, which happened last Friday, is a fun night where the Shannon Center opens its doors and you can basically do whatever you want. There were more games this year than I ever remember in the past.

And the second is my favorite tradition, the Taste of SXU from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wed., April 24 at the Shannon Center. No one loves a buffet when the meal plan is running low more than me. The Taste has been one of the most attended events at SXU with lines going out of the Shannon Center. If its up to me, I think the Taste of SXU should be each semester. I guess I’m just hungry.

Mark Siefert is a senior social science major from Crest Hill. He is a member of the baseball team. Consideration for the student bloggers is provided by Saint Xavier University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.