Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Free FALLing into Finals

By Lucille Farrell

Hello, hello readers and fellow bloggers!

I hope everyone had a fantastic Halloween weekend. I know I took a break from all of my research for some Halloween adventures. Since I was little, Halloween has been my favorite holiday and I celebrate it as best I can. This year a few of my friends had gone home or went visiting friends at other schools. I spent my time with my roommate and other friend having a movie marathon. We decided on some classic ‘scary movies’ such as the original A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Amityville Horror. We also mixed it up with other fun movies such as The Rocky Horror Picture Show (always a favorite), Hocus Pocus, and Sleepy Hollow. There are a good number of places in the Chicago-land area that have Rocky Horror showings with full audience participation. One thing you should remember, however, is how big of a following there is so you should always get tickets ahead of time. My friends and I were too late to get tickets close by, but be sure that we will plan ahead for next year!

With November officially here my weekends of avoiding work in favor of movie marathons are over. I know that November is crunch time here as I am sure it is for many of you. These next three weeks are set for wrapping up final papers that need to be turned in before Thanksgiving break. I know the week before Thanksgiving I have two final papers due that have been in the works for a while now. It can seem like a lot of work at times, but everyone learns to manage. I enjoy writing papers and doing presentations so this works out well for me. I would prefer doing my presentations than sitting down and studying for a monstrous exam, but that’s just me. I have friends that would rather study seven chapters and have a test than ever have to present for a class. That’s the beauty of college, we find a major that fits us best.

There is also a good bit of activity on campus to help everyone relieve a little stress and relax after a long day of classes. This week the Improv Club is currently hosting their Comedy Festival, a week full of comedy events. I know that I’ll be at the Improv show tonight to have a few laughs after one of my busiest days of the week. I like to think I deserve a little downtime during the week as long as I get a chunk of my work done. Like most people train a puppy, I believe in rewards after good behavior!

Also another bit of advice for those of you in college and just applying, remember time management isn’t always about getting your work done. Scheduling your classes is also a huge factor. You should always allow yourself a decent amount of downtime so you do not overwork yourself, but you should also make sure that you don’t spread things so far out that you’re constantly on the move. This semester my major classes were all on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I decided to add my extra class on Thursday night. This works out well for me, although some people think I’m insane. Yes, my days are a bit long, but I have my Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays to get a lot of my class work and club work done. In the end it is all about knowing yourself and knowing what you can (and cannot) handle.

On that note I’m going to get ready to go on a highlighting research spree! Happy blogging everyone.

Peace, Love, and Cougars

♠ Luci


Lucille Farrell is a junior Organizational Communications major with a minor in Anthropology. She is originally from New Haven, CT and is involved with the Honors Student Advisory Council, Student Government Association (SGA) and Anthropology Club.Consideration for the student bloggers is provided by Saint Xavier University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.