Friday, April 15, 2011

The Mikado!


By Genevieve Buthod

Well, the opera this weekend went off without a hitch. It was so much fun to be a part of all the excitement, even all the rehearsals leading up to the big shows. I was surprised how many people from the community came to see the performances, and how much they seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves during the show. People loved all the jokes that Vince Dore wrote into his songs, and the lead young maiden, Yum-Yum, was just perfect in her role. I love being at a school that places such high value on the fine arts! I’m excited for this coming weekend’s performance in McDonough Chapel, too. The chorale will be performing a special piece with the flute choir, and it is sounding beautiful in practices, so you all should come on Friday!

I love the music here, because it gives me a much-needed break from all the work I’ve been drowning in lately. I feel like deadlines guide every one of my actions, and it’s becoming simply exhausting. I hope I survive ‘til the end of the year! As a freshman, I really shouldn’t be complaining, though. I’m sure the seniors are having a much tougher time right now than I am. I can’t believe I’m almost finished with my first year of college! I guess time slips away more quickly when you’re busy all the time. Speaking of, I have an Alliance board meeting I need to get to, so I’d better be off! Talk to you later, -Genevieve


Genevieve Buthod is a freshman from St. Louis, MO. She is computer science major and a women's studies minor. Buthod is a vegan and part of the Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.