Thursday, September 22, 2011

5 Keys to College I've Learned so Far

By Sydney Bennett

5 Keys to College I’ve Learned So Far

After being in college for a few years you start to learn a few tactics and patterns on how to maneuver successfully. The things I know now, I didn’t necessarily know as a freshman. However, it is never too late to learn something useful. Even if you share it with others! I have compiled five tips that will help any other undergraduate student have a successful and enjoyable college experience.

1. Organization is always good, especially early.
I’ll be the first one to admit that naturally I am not organized. I’m more of the creative, “all over the place”, “organized chaos”, type of girl. In college and whatever respective work field I go into, that may not always be most beneficial. Thankfully, college is preparing me to be an organized and productive adult. For example, in the beginning of classes we usually get all of our syllabi’s and important information for classes. Simple tasks like, dividing the information you receive from classes in separated binders or using plastic dividers is vital.

2. Less is More! (When it comes to packing.)
My first year of college, I brought everything I could with me. My third year I brought the bare minimum. The interesting part is that by my third year I had much more living and bedroom space. Nevertheless, hours of packing and lugging around unnecessary items twice a year got tiring. Before the semester started I really evaluated the items that I absolutely needed and the ones I could do without. The items that I knew I would use on a regular basis came with me and things I knew would just collect dust had to stay at home. Don’t be afraid to evaluate your items. A lot of items you need can be purchased at the bookstore or throughout the school year. Trust me; you’ll thank yourself at the end of the year!

3. Every Professor is different. (Learn them/ Learn Your Own Learning Style)
Just like ordinary people, all professors are different. The all have unique teaching styles, ways of grading, and a standard of rules to be followed. It is wise to observe during the first class sessions what categories each professor fits in. Figuring out your own learning style is important as well. This will not only help you receive any extra help needed for each class, but when you are looking for an internship or first job, you will be able to present that information and choose effectively. Saint Xavier hosts many Academic Success Workshops throughout the year, like “Learning Styles”. Take advantage of school resources!

4. Getting involved is necessary.
‎I came across a quote from a blog the other day that said, "Make college fit into your business plan. Don't make it THE business plan. A lot of people miss out on both the real learning and the networking in college because they don't understand this crucial difference."(laurennicolelove.com) It is so important to network and get involved with different organizations on campus. Not only is it fun, but you will often receive opportunities to build your leadership experience and your resume’.

5. Find time to relax!
The key in my last point is that you have to find the time to relax. There will always be an event you can attend on campus, a friend to talk to, studying that needs to be done, or idle time to waste. However, you must make time to relax. Whether you take a quick power nap, meditate and pray, read a book, or take a walk. Mastering the balance of success and restoration as a college student is worth the try!

Sydney Bennett is a junior from Chicago, Illinois. She is a Mass Communications major with minors in both Sociology and Art & Design. She is President of Ambassador's for Christ(AFC) and a member of their Gospel choir at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.