Monday, September 19, 2011

Introduction to Me!

By Sydney Bennett

Nice to meet you!

Before I begin my blogging journey, I wanted to give a brief introduction and let my readers in on who I am as a student, leader, and individual.

As a student, this is my third year here at Saint Xavier. (The years have really flown by!) I am a Mass Communications major with intentions on minoring in both Sociology and Art & Design. Sometimes when I’m taking a new class, I’ll stop and think about how my school courses are perfect for me. I love all aspects of media, communication, creativity, and learning about different cultures. I came to college with an interest in one day writing for a magazine. I ended up writing for The Xavierite campus newspaper my first year and the next year joined the writing staff for a local magazine for teen girls, Goddess Magazine. My courses and other work experiences have encouraged me to be open to working in various sides of media and hopefully learning all the tricks of the trade!

As a leader, every day I am growing more aware of the influence we all hold and how to use it positively. During my sophomore year, I was chosen to be a peer mentor for incoming freshmen students. I helped lead a transitional course and held meetings with all of the students. It was a fun and exciting way to give back to students who I could easily relate to. That same year I also had the opportunity of becoming president of a student organization on campus, Ambassador’s for Christ (AFC). We hold weekly Bible studies, other events on campus, and host gospel concerts with our choir! I didn’t plan on being a president of a Christian organization when I came to college. However, I was able to find my purpose and an organization that’s mission completes it. We hope to be a light and encouragement to all and are inspired by the life of Jesus to have students visit us, become members, and eventually disciples of Christ.

Lastly, I’ve always stood out as being different from the crowd. You will usually see me walking around in clothing of bold colors, accessories, or prints. Fashion allows me the free creativity I need. I am highly interested in all areas of the arts. I’ve been writing poetry since a very young age. I have a strong desire to travel all over the world. Positivity and creativity usually always find a way near me, as a growing visionary. I love chocolate, thrift stores, and Jane Austen films.

Until next time,
-Sydney B

Sydney Bennett is a junior from Chicago, Illinois. She is a Mass Communications major with minors in both Sociology and Art & Design. She is President of Ambassador's for Christ(AFC) and a member of their Gospel choir at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.