Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tuition Well Spent

By Genevieve Buthod

Tuition Well Spent

I had a very definitive experience in my education recently. I’ve been struggling through one of my classes, and I’ve been fairly worried about its effects on my future, considering this class is pivotal to my major. My professor met with me in her office after class one day when I was having a particularly hard time, and even called in the head of the department to speak with us. [This is not the first time either of them has taken time out of their days to meet with me to discuss my hopes and fears for the future]. I told them about my worries as far as maintaining my scholarships, holding up my GPA, and realizing whether or not this is even the right school for me. After this conversation, I knew I had nothing to worry about, in terms of my class, my major, and the university I chose.

I went in worried that I have been going down the wrong path for the past year and a half, worried that I’ve already spent too much time going in a direction that I can’t handle, and that I would have to make some drastic changes very soon. I went out feeling completely reassured and supported. These professors told me that they just want me to be able to do well and enjoy my time in college. It is a time for us to see what we want out of life and see what makes us truly happy. They helped me to re-evaluate my own definition of “success” and from there, I gained some much-needed perspective. I can’t express the gratitude I feel towards my professors and other faculty members here who have helped me on my journey so far. They have done an incredible job of showing me that I am cared for and supported, and I am sure I am not the only student who has felt this way.

My experience serves as another reminder that Saint Xavier goes above and beyond in looking out for the students’ best interests. I am still pretty scared of what the next few years (not to mention the rest of my life) may bring, but I think that might be healthy. It’s good to be excited for the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.

Genevieve Buthod is a sophomore, and a double major in computer science and philosophy. She is a women’s studies minor, and thinking about a music minor as well. Genevieve is an officer in the Alliance (the GSA) and is a happy, healthy vegan. She is also involved with the Students for Justice in Palestine.

1 comment:

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.