Thursday, October 20, 2011

Weekend Highlight: CJA 72nd Annual Dinner and NBC History Tour

By Sydney Bennett


Weekend Highlight: CJA 72nd Annual Dinner and NBC History Tour

Last weekend I had two amazing opportunities to gain wisdom and inspiration from some of Chicago’s most well known leaders in the field of media. On Friday, Chicago Journalist’s Association held their 72nd annual dinner. It is a night where journalists from around Chicago get together to celebrate each other and the role of journalism. As soon as I arrived to the floor of the Holiday Inn where the event was held, I was immediately awe struck. Suddenly, faces I had only seen on television growing up like Cheryl Burton and Linda Yu, were feet away from me. (How interesting is it that anchors and journalists are a form of celebrity?)

After I made my way away from the reception area and into the dining room, I was greeted by my table mates who happened to be representatives of NBC, including Art Norman and Allison Rosati. The night was filled with laughs, good food, and five journalists were awarded. Stella Foster of the Chicago Sun-Times was the most memorable. She admitted to not seeking a career in journalism but ending up loving the career and column she writes.

As, I sat amongst so many journalists, I could not help but to wonder if I would one day take the places and positions they hold. In college, students sometimes become locked into the present. We worry about the week’s assignments and tests. While pressure and learning excellence and discipline is good, sometimes we forget to dream. That night I got to dream a little and take pride in an industry that I feel life and college is preparing me for. Becoming a part of organizations and getting real life experiences in fields of interest, is something that I am learning is necessary for college students.

The next day, I joined Art Norman and out-of-state students for a history tour of NBC. Art, who is passionate about history, gave us amazing insight on events that helped shape not only NBC, but America.

We learned about many people from The Tuskegee Airmen and Eleanor Roosevelt, to the rise of Oprah Winfrey’s career. One point I took away was the vitality of relationships. So many historical events and lives are changed because of relationships between people.

We were also able to take pictures on the set where, “The Judge Mathis Show” is filmed and see other news sets. Another point I took away from the tour was, “to bless strangers”. Art used the tour he was giving as an example and stressed on how that is a key to success and fulfillment. Last points I left the tour with were the importance of knowing history and starting small and diligently, to build a career.

Well, that is all for my weekend highlight!

Until next time, I will leave with a quote, “Go confidently into the direction of your dreams. Live the life you’ve imagined. “-Henry David Thoreau

Sydney Bennett is a junior from Chicago, Illinois. She is a Mass Communications major with minors in both Sociology and Art & Design. She is President of Ambassador's for Christ(AFC) and a member of their Gospel choir at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.