Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Super Bowl Sunday

By Luci Farrell

Super Bowl Sunday, a day of togetherness, wings, pizza, and beautiful chaos. I believe football is more of a national sport than baseball will ever be. After all, let’s think about the sport we watch and play on Thanksgiving. Yes, I think we can all see my point. If we don’t, let’s just go with it.

While my team was not playing this year, I was rather invested in the game. Firstly, it’s the Super Bowl. I’ll watch it regardless of who’s playing. Secondly, being from the North East nothing is more amusing than seeing two ‘hometown’ teams go at it. Thirdly, I hate the Patriots.

Now let me explain something. I grew up in a mixed family for sports. My mother became a Bears fan at a young age because my grandfather followed them. My father happens to be a Giants fan. I also use this term a bit loosely because I have not seen him turn on a football game on his own terms in quite a long time. I think it also has to do with the fact my mother is a rabid football fan. I say rabid in the best possible way. Stories have been told about my mother pacing and muttering at the same rate of Mike Ditka when he was still coaching the Bears. She was also known to storm off out of the house and go walking to Lighthouse Point Park, over a mile from our house. This is the woman who had baby pictures of me in full Bears attire and I’m pretty sure sung the Super Bowl Shuffle to me as a lullaby.

Fans come in hundreds of types. The rabid, the martyrs, the bandwagoners, and the obnoxious. This is where my third point comes in. Patriot fans. Chills run down my spine when I think of these individuals. Having grown up around them, my head hurts. Every sport has the one team with the fans people just have a hard time with. People make fun of Yankees fans because they’re loud, obnoxious, and many just jumped on the bandwagon. Well, in my eyes the same can be said for Patriot fans. Patriot Fans: the loud, the proud, and the cult of Tom Brady. Don’t worry. I’m not even going to touch that subject. You probably wouldn’t want to know.

Aside from my points about my love for football, there’s another reason to love the Super Bowl: Commercials. The Super Bowl marks that magical time of the year when writers for the biggest companies can finally slump forward and relax. Let me give you a little bit of insight on Super Bowl commercials. In 1967, a 30 second commercial cost $37,500. Commercials for Super Bowl XLVI, sold out a good deal ahead of schedule. The 30-second spots for this Super Bowl? $3.5 million. In other words, writers have a lot to live up to.

I now give you my Best and Worst of the commercials.

The Best: Clint Eastwood and Chrysler

Say what you will, but Clint Eastwood is one of the most intimidating men in the world. Also, this was one of my favorite commercials. Inspirations, gritty, and let’s face it, it has Clint Eastwood. Forgot any words you have about it being a political and controversial commercial. You watch this and all you can think is, “YES! I am the common American. We will get back up. Thank you Mr. Eastwood.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_PE5V4Uzobc

The Best: NFL Evolution

Say what you will, I’m a sucker for commercials that show the evolution of a company or franchise. Plus, come on, we’re ending on seeing Hester looking epic. Once again, You cannot go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPr4-P19NtE&context=C3689747ADOEgsToPDskJ-Kd-6HZx7FBTo893H8hFI

My Worst: TaxAct.com

Honestly. It’s not well thought out, not funny, and seems like a waste of $3 million.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZXFSIpu2g

The Worst: GoDaddy

I will also mention that once again, GoDaddy commercials are tasteless and, once again, a waste of $3. This is also aside from feelings already held about the company. I won’t even bother linking to those commercials. Honestly.

The beauty of advertising is that the money is spent because you’ll be talking about the commercials all week. The good, the bad, and the ones you still don’t understand. Oh Super Bowl. Never change.


Keep Calm and Get Ready For Some Football

Luci Farrell is a senior from New Haven, CT. She is an Organizational Communication major with a minor in Anthropology. Luci is a Resident Peer Minister on campus and chair of the Honors Program Advisory Council at Saint Xavier University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.