Monday, March 5, 2012

School is Back in Session

By Dorothy J. Hill

Ah…Spring Break. What a refreshing time. Ah…School. What a… well… Ah…School. We are back in session. Spring Break went by a lot slower than I thought it would. I enjoyed soaking up as much time as I could, doing absolutely nothing. I enjoyed it even more because it is officially my last spring break as an undergraduate student!

It seems so surreal right now. It’s one of those moments that you had imagined but never really knew how things would turn out. It’s also rather refreshing because I have reached a point where I can reflect on my beginnings and all the things that contributed to my growth as a person in this world. I am grateful for the opportunity to pursue higher education and the endless possibilities that lie ahead. Things are still kind of sketchy where life after undergrad is concerned, but I have a few ideas.

So, we’re back in the thick of it. We’re midway through this spring semester with a few weeks remaining, which will fly by quicker than you can say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. This time has been very telling in terms of my personal abilities and what the expectations of the world consists of. It has also shown me that because things change so rapidly, it is within your best interest to keep things in as much order as possible. Prioritization will be your best friend and procrastination is you worst enemy. These are two things that you should keep in mind. Take it from me; you don’t want to procrastinate, especially if you have a lot going on. Things will pile up on you and it might get to a point where you feel overwhelmed and that things are too difficult to handle. If you keep things prioritized, you will experience less stress and frustration and have a lot more order and organization in your life.

Being a responsible adult requires a great deal of discipline and commitment. You can’t slack off on anything, because when you slack off in one area, it causes you to slack off in another area. It’s not fun playing catch up for classes and work. It’s a rather unnecessary situation. Don’t put yourself through unnecessary stress. I have been going through a lot of back and forth thoughts with myself. It goes from excitement to dreadfulness back to excitement. I was first excited because I am on the last leg of this journey. I then sensed a feeling of dreadfulness because I am not sure of what to do after graduation. After much contemplation and organization of thoughts, I went back to excitement. Even though I don’t know what is going to happen, I am excited for the possibilities and opportunities that are open for me. I will be embarking upon a new life journey, closing this chapter and moving on to the next.

Life is what you make it. You can’t allow yourself to be consumed in what others do or to the point that you lose your own identity. Learn who you are as a person and don’t worry about what the next person has. You may see them in a particular situation that you think is better than yours, when in actuality, it may not be. You can’t base yourself off of anyone or anything else. Be an individual. What was once my problem is no longer one. I used to worry about how much money a person had that I didn’t have or how one person has a car and I don’t.

Everything takes time and when you keep your life in order, great things will happen. So, be patient, don’t procrastinate. Prioritize and persevere. Hard work goes a long way. You just have to wait a little while to reap the benefits and rewards of all that you’ve put forth.

Dorothy J. Hill is a senior from Chicago, IL. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance. Dorothy is a Student Ambassador and currently serves as the Training Coordinator at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.