Monday, September 28, 2009

Interview with Ian Pickett and Jess Martinez

By Mark Siefert

Welcome back to the Cougar Den.

Talk about a week for quarterback Anthony Kropp, last week’s interviewee, breaking the school record for touchdowns in a single game (7). Maybe if Ian and Jess have a good week, athletes around campus will be lining up to answer my questions.

It was a good week on campus to see sports action, even though the weather is changing. This is the time of year for conference games, which mean that each team’s off-days are going down while their number of games keeps rising. Without further delay, and I’m sure everyone else would rather see what Ian and Jess have to see. Here are this week’s interviews with men’s soccer goalkeeper senior Ian Pickett (3-time CCAC player of the week) and women’s soccer utility player senior Jess Martinez (5 goals).

Mark Siefert: What is your daily schedule/ routine look like during the week with
practice, meetings and class?

Ian Pickett: Our practices through the week are usually 3:30 to 5:30 and sometimes on Saturdays. A lot of times we, will go early or stay later in order to work on different things.

Jess Martinez: Practice is about 2 hours a day...not really too many meetings...I work at the Shannon Center on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have a normal class schedule and anytime in between that I’m eating or being lazy :)

MS: How many hours per week are you doing soccer-related activity?
IP: I would say anywhere between 10 to 15 hours per week based on practice and game schedules.
JM: I spend probably between 10 and 15 hours a week doing soccer stuff.

MS: What is your most difficult class this semester? What is your most
interesting? And why?
IP: My most difficult class would have to be Business and Society based on the amount of work that has to be done. My most interesting class is Visual Communication because we work with Photoshop on Macs and that is something I have not done before.
JM: Stats is definitely my hardest subject because numbers are involved! My most interesting class would probably be Drug Abuse because people do some pretty crazy things while under the influence.

MS: Do you have any interesting pre-game rituals/superstitions?
IP: Not really.
JM: I can't say I have any rituals or superstitions besides wearing an armband that I have worn since freshmen year. Superstitions are too hard to keep up with.

MS: What do you like best about SXU athletics?
IP: The Cougar roar.
JM: I like that SXU is a smaller school, just about everyone knows each other and everyone doest their best to support the other sports.

MS: Who on your team would you call the team prankster? Any good stories?
IP: Everyone on our team has a good amount of jokes.
JM: I would have to say my associate "Walker" and I are the pranksters of the team. Besides wearing bubble wrap on Halloween last year during practice, we are a tag team of one-liners that the team loves to hate :) We also took it upon ourselves last year to make our own awards for the banquet for the "most likely to" categories. And we can't wait for Halloween this year ;)

Thanks Jess and Ian, and don’t forget next week’s blog will feature an interview with Senior outside Hitter, Stephanie Galas.

Stay Classy, Cougars.

Mark Siefert is a senior social science major from Crest Hill. He is a member of the baseball team. Consideration for the student bloggers is provided by Saint Xavier University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.