Tuesday, October 13, 2009

MY SOCIAL ADVENTURES: Chess Club Ladder Match

By Ifeanyi Onwumah

From the moment I first got introduced to chess, I knew that it was a game that I would love for the rest of my life. I got introduced to it in my sophomore year of high school and I must say that it was love at first sight. Chess, like any other game, requires a high level of concentration if you want to come out on top and, unlike most other games, doesn’t require athleticism or physical strength. All chess asks of you is that you apply yourself and that you think ahead.

Chess doesn’t necessarily come off as one of the most interesting games to play but it is addictive once you get into it, especially if you have a competitive spirit (like me). This spirit is the same one that motivated me to join the chess club when I found out that the school had a program. One thing that I love about the chess club is how it opens its doors to anyone. You don’t have to join the club to play or hang around. If you’re walking by and you see something you like, just come on by because you are welcome.

The ladder tournament is set up to determine who will occupy the top 6 tables of the club’s chess team. These players will represent the school in on- and off-campus competitions. I could not pass up on opportunity to do something I love in honor of my beloved Saint Xavier, so I immediately signed up. I came into the tournament ready to drop bombs and destroy the competition because in my mind I felt that I was better than everyone else.

This proved to be my downfall. I underestimated my opponents and I didn’t respect their ability to play the game as well or even better than I can. I don’t mean to be cocky but I honestly could have won 3 of the 4 matches that I played. But guess what my record was at the end of the competition? 1-3. Yes, you saw it right: 1 win and 3 losses. Due to my lack of respect for my opponents, I ended up making so many silly mistakes that cost me my matches. With such a record, instead of ranking in the top 6, I ended up in the bottom 6. WHAT A SHAME!!! This also meant that I didn’t make the team.

Despite my bad showing, I can’t say that I didn’t have fun. There was this profound air of competition mixed with the pleasure of being around friendly faces. The atmosphere was relaxed and nobody had a menacing demeanor about them. The best thing about it was the food. There was ample amount of brain food to keep your mind refreshed throughout the competition. At the end of the day, I came out a better chess player and I learned never to take others for granted because you never know what to expect from those you don’t really know. I made new friends and even started a friendly rivalry with two of them (Yes, Debra I’m talking about you! You too Will!). Yet they say chess is for old people. All I have to say is HA!

Ifeanyi Onwumah is a sophomore philosophy major from South Holland. He participates in several campus clubs. Consideration for the student bloggers is provided by Saint Xavier University.

2 comments:

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.