Monday, October 12, 2009

SXU Film Series: Film and Childhood

By Amanda Holmes

The SXU film series shows films in McGuire Hall once a month. Entrance is free and the films that they show are usually fantastic. They do screenings on Thursday nights once a month and the next one they will be showing is The 400 Blows will be this Thursday, October 15 at 6 p.m.

I have seen this one before but I’m thinking about going to see it again. It’s a French film made in 1959 about a boy who gets involved in some petty crime. I saw The 400 Blows a couple years ago and it blew me away. Pun intended. Sorry. Really, though, effing good movie.

This year’s theme of the SXU film series is “film and Childhood”. The list of the films on the schedule includes The Red Balloon, My Life as a Dog, Color of Paradise, Valentin, and Pan’s Labyrinth.

The series has been around for a while now. I think last year’s series was “Film and the City.” I went to see Metropolis. It is a German film from the 1920s about capitalism and robots. It is set in a futuristic dystopia and is the inspiration for this song by Kraftwerk.

Anyway, I think that this is a really great series and a nice option for something to do on campus on a Thursday night.

Amanda Holmes is a senior philosophy major from Atlanta, GA. She is vice president of the Philosophy Club. Consideration for the student bloggers is provided by Saint Xavier University.

1 comment:

  1. nice post, I just wanted to ask why the "Pan's Labyrinth link leads to a page in spanish. I really like the way you write though. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.