Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Grad School

By Amanda Holmes

I spent a few blog posts last semester writing about my graduate school application endeavors. Last semester, I was consumed by the application process. When I wasn’t doing work for my classes, I was either studying for the GRE, writing my personal statement, working on my writing sample, or doing research on graduate programs. I was glad to put an end to this process a couple of weeks ago when I sent out my last application packet.

But these past few weeks while I have been waiting to hear back from the ten programs I applied to had been …um, strange. I didn’t know exactly what to do with myself. I was anxious to find out if and where I’ve been accepted and where I will be moving next fall. And this period of waiting was punctuated by a few rejection letters…until yesterday. Yesterday, I found out that I’ve been accepted to the Masters Program in Philosophy at the University of Miami Ohio! (exploding joy)

Miami’s graduate program in philosophy looks like it could be pretty great. The courses offered there seem interesting, the faculty is all working on cool projects, and I would be able to work as a teacher’s assistant, which would be great. The only real downside is that I would be moving to Ohio.

So, well, that’s great. I’m still waiting for the responses from some of the other grad programs but it feels really good to know that I will be headed off to grad school in the fall!

Amanda Holmes is a senior philosophy major from Atlanta, GA. She is vice president of the Philosophy Club. Consideration for the student bloggers is provided by Saint Xavier University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.