Thursday, March 25, 2010

Basketball is over… What do I do now!?

By Brittany Jones

Hey Cougs! I am sad to report that the women’s basketball team and I are home from Jackson, Tennessee and we fell a short of our ultimate goal of national Champs.

But don’t be too quick to tear up for us because we had a record-breaking season. We were the first team in SXU history to have over 30 wins (31). We are the highest-ranked team in SXU Women’s Basketball History (2). AND, we were the first Women’s Basketball team to make the Elite Eight in the National Tournament.

Still, we can’t help but get choked up thinking about our last game. It’s tough being back on campus and getting congratulated on a great season by so many wonderful people. We appreciate it SOOO much but it is still hard to see the good when we feel as though we fell a little short. It was an amazing trip though and one that I will never forget.

I hope you all were able to follow with the SouthtownStar's Rolling with the Cougars blog I linked last week. Everyday, including Monday morning, we had full coverage in the newspaper… What an honor.

This is my last blog regarding Women’s basketball so I will end this segment with a sincere thank you to all of you that supported us and followed us. Even those of you that don’t know or care about basketball that took the time to say good luck, or congratulations! You don’t know how much those kind gestures mean to an athlete. Good luck to Men’s Volleyball, Baseball and Softball as they get into the bulk of their season!

Although I was out of town I heard there were some great events going on for the Haitian relief efforts last week. The one that caused the most discussion was the documentary on Haiti. I have heard that it was extremely eye-opening and the discussion was wonderful.

I still now and forever will encourage you all to go to events like these. Be open to new experiences because like I have mentioned before because you never know where you will be inspired. If you still are interested in Haiti Relief Efforts (forgive me for not knowing all of the details) but there will be a video game tournament that is currently being advertised that will accept donations for Haiti. The school does not allow Student Organizations to charge to get into an event so PLEASE PLEASE do not tak advantage of this and attend the tournament without making a donation.

Well, without basketball I hope to be at many more events this year supporting all of the students that have supported me, so I hope to see you there! Until next time!

Brittany Jones is a sophomore I/O psychology major from Tinley Park, IL. She is a Student Government Association senator, Vice President of the American Red Cross Club, and a forward on the Women's basketball team. Consideration for the student bloggers is provided by Saint Xavier University.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.