Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Welcome!

By Lucille Farrell

Welcome to a little corner of the internet set aside for a group of students at Saint Xavier University to blog about their times in college! My name is Lucille Farrell, more commonly known as Luci. I am an Organizational Communications major with a minor in Anthropology and am currently in my Junior year.

Those of you that have found this blog must know a little bit about Saint Xavier already and must know a bit about its location. SXU’s location is one of the reasons I decided this University was going toward the top of my list when I came to visit the summer before my senior year. Located in a close-knit community, SXU has the calm of a school far off from the city, but is only a short ‘L’ ride from the downtown area. While many of the students at this school are only from a few hours away, I happen to be one of the ‘super’ out of state students. Originally from New Haven, Connecticut, I decided I wanted to go out of state for school. I had always wanted to visit Chicago and thought the best way to get to visit would be to use college searching as an excuse. My mother and I packed up the car and began a weeklong road trip adventure to visit five of the eight schools of which I ended up applying. Yes, I do realize that sounds insane, but it was well worth it.
My first year at SXU seemed to hold a new adventure every weekend. Most of the time during the weekends was spent exploring the city or going to a show for a local band. Other weekends my friends and I would hang out on campus and in the dorms doing (or at least pretending) to do homework and watching movies. To be perfectly honest we still do the same things in my third year here and we’re perfectly happy. Although, since our first year there have been a few more spur of the moment road trips…like the time we decided we should go to Tennessee and ended up in Arkansas. Say what you will, but ended up visiting five states in twenty-four hours was well worth the story.

Aside from my major and everything that you normally take on as a student, I decided that I wanted to be involved in whatever I could handle while here. I am currently a Senator with the Student Government Association, a member of Anthropology club, a member of the Honors Student Advisory Council, and an Honors Student. It seems like a lot sometimes, but the key to going through college is time management. Time management is one of those funny words that basically means learning how to juggle your entire life and still manage to function. Many will tell you that you will have to pick sleep, fun or good grades. This isn’t true. The key is taking on what you can handle. You learn after the first two weeks how to get into the swing of things.
On those words of wisdom, I will leave you until next time. Happy blogging!

Peace, Love, and Cougars

-Luci



Lucille Farrell is a junior Organizational Communications major with a minor in Anthropology. She is originally from New Haven, CT and is involved with the Honors Student Advisory Council, Student Government Association (SGA) and Anthropology Club.Consideration for the student bloggers is provided by Saint Xavier University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.