Monday, February 21, 2011

Can't Buy Me Love

By Genevieve Buthod

Ah, I just love being broke on Valentine’s Day. Working at the front desk at the WAC, taking so many deliveries of huge, beautiful bouquets and gifts, just served as a sad reminder that I don’t have any cash lately. I don’t have any money to send my valentine flowers, but that’s ok, because it just forced us to be completely creative this year. He wrote me a song and told me to Youtube “Happy Valentine’s Day, Genevieve” and it will come up. I’m going to be making him dinner and homemade chocolates when I come home for spring break next week. Needless to say, you don’t need money to have an incredible and romantic Valentine’s Day.

And really, there’s nothing like a ridiculously long phone conversation to show someone you love them. There was absolutely no where to walk in our residence halls for the past few days, with all the girls and boys on the phone with their sweethearts for hours at a time. It’s cute, but honestly, sometimes other people need to go up and down those stairways you’re lying on (I’m guilty of this as well, though, so I really shouldn’t be complaining…)

But of course, Valentine’s Day isn’t the only thing that happens in February. There have been so many great events going on for Black History Month, too. I went to an art show in the old gym last week, and it was incredible. It was matched with a fantastic jazz performance by our very own Professor Pete Carney and his band, and the best part of all was the sizable turnout. I love it when students and their families take advantage of the exciting culture events that Saint Xavier hosts all the time. I know my friends and I had a great time, and I can’t wait to go to the world neighborhoods: Africa in Chicago tour this Sunday the 20th at noon, starting at Navy Pier. It sounds so exciting, and what better way to get to see the global community in Chicago?

Hope you’re all enjoying your day off!
See you later,
Genevieve
Genevieve Buthod is a freshman from St. Louis, MO. She is computer science major and a women's studies minor. Buthod is a vegan and part of the Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.