Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Keep Calm and Sing On

By Luci Farrell

“Please explain to me why you, of all people, have yet to write a blog about the importance of music in staying sane.”

That is an actual quote from a good friend of mine. She makes a fair point. Many would agree music is a large part of their lives and I would have to agree. I started playing flute at a young age, but sang along to the radio long before that. Of course, I can’t say my musical upbringing was normal.

At my (paternal) grandparent’s you would hear opera and soundtracks to my grandmother’s favorite musicals.

I'm gonna wash that man right outa my hair.

And send him on his way.

Then there happened to be my grandfather humming the Marine’s Hymm. (Also a happy belated birthday to any Marine’s out there. Semper Fi.)

We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine.

Then you had my parents. My mother, bless the woman, has been the beautiful influence on my upbringing with country:

You know I might have been born just plain white trash

But Fancy was my name


Then she gave me a love for the oldies, the Rat Pack, and Elvis. Coming from the woman who took me to the Grand Ole Opry and Graceland this summer you have to understand my connection to music is a strong one.

Then you have my father. The one thing he and I can agree with is music. Everyone has that problem in their youth that they just cannot agree with their parents. My father and I found our agreement in music (and arguments over literature). To this day his ringtone for me is Baba O’Riley by The Who.

Teenage wasteland.

It’s only teenage wasteland

yeah he’s funny.

In my neighborhood all you ever heard was Spanish rap, the kind that always makes you want to dance. I warned you my music roots were questionable.

Music shapes us and helps us grow. My iTunes has a horrible personality disorder from my years growing up. It’s only gotten better (or worse depending on how you view it) as the years went on. Like most angsty teens I went through my phase of screamo and metal. No not Korn or Disturbed. Please, do not mention that in my presence. I also swear by all I hold dear if anyone ever mentions Rammstein to me I will scream. That is a long story for another day…

I have my rock in every degree, indie, pop, ska, reggee, soul, R&B, swing, French music, really if you name it I have it. Well, minus jazz. Jazz makes me sleepy, fun fact right there.

We hold music close. It rocks us to sleep, keeps us awakes, brings tears, creates laughter, and it makes memories. Some memories are great and some hurt after a while. There is always a song that reminds us of someone. There are songs in my library that will always make me think of certain friends, even if I they are no longer a part of my life.

To this day every time I hear I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab for Cutie I will think of freshman year. We would sit around in the small dorms listening to my friend play guitar. Soft singing would follow the familiar cords and it just tugs at my heart.

If there's no one beside you

When your soul embarks

Then I'll follow you into the dark

I remember mosh pits and the energy of a crowd at a Dropkick Murphys show. The bruises, scars, and lost or torn articles of clothing will always make the night more memorable. The music dying down as strangers hug each other and sway to the final bars of Forever.

Forever I'll find you, forever we'll be

Forever your power and strength stays with me

Forever…

The music gets to us. I admit it keeps the romantic in us alive even when we want to be bitter and jaded. I would be a liar if I said I haven’t always wished someone would sing Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls to me. Music makes us sappy, but in all the right ways.

Music keeps me sane in the insanity that is school. I have a playlist for every occasion and when the silence is too much, music will always be there.
Make a playlist, invest in a good set of headphones, swap music, and let the songs make memories. Everything you need in life is a melody away. Sing in the shower, in the car, through the tears, through the laugher, and through the goodbyes.

Keep Calm and Sing On


Luci Farrell is a senior from New Haven, CT. She is an Organizational Communication major with a minor in Anthropology. Luci is a Resident Peer Minister on campus and chair of the Honors Program Advisory Council at Saint Xavier University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.