Thursday, November 17, 2011

Maintaining Inner Peace

By Sydney Bennett


Maintaining Inner Peace

So, we are nearing the end of the semester and I am actually really looking forward to a break. Looking back on all the assignments I have done and grades achieved, I’m realizing that each semester really does carry its own load. But, what about the loads outside of the classroom? I’ve learned that life does not stop for anyone. It often seems like everything happens at once. Blessings, tragedies, rough times, grace, strength, weaknesses are blended and poured into the cup we call life. For most of my older childhood, I have had to deal with auto-immune illnesses. I was diagnosed with Chron’s disease around the age of 12 and Psoriasis a few years later. However, this blog isn’t just about me or what I go through. It’s about how we all maintain peace, as college students, who have to deal with everything else. I want to offer a few tips in hopes of inspiring myself and others to finish strong and keep going despite it all.

Here is what keeps me going:

1. Faith/Inspiration
I don’t know what I would do without what I consider a beautiful growing relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ. My faith gives me a higher purpose and strength to deal with everything that life throws my way. I stay inspired by principles and ideas that support my faith beliefs in many ways. I read my Bible, subscribe to blogs, attend services, pray, and listen to music that is all in alignment with what I believe. It’s important to be surrounded by what we truly believe, so that we don’t forget what we stand for in life’s ups and downs.

2. Support
Support is something I am slowly becoming more accepting of. It was normal for me, during rough times, to just deal with them alone and not really talk to anyone. However, relationships started to form where people in my life really wanted to be there for me and I had to learn to accept support. Support can come in the form of family, friends, groups, or counselors. Whatever way it comes for you accept opportunities that lend support, you’ll feel better.

3. Rest/Relaxation
Most college students are always on the go. Classes, meetings, practices, and jobs keep us quite busy. Dealing with illnesses has taught me how important it is to have still time. These are moments throughout the day where I take to time to sit down and do things that are relaxing to me. How much time I take depends on how I feel. It is usually good to have quiet time in the morning when waking up and right before bed.


4. Goal Setting
I find that constantly creating to-do lists or having a list of goals, keeps me focused. I use planners, computer apps, and whatever is around me. One key with goal setting is that my goals shift depending on what is going on in my life. Personal priorities should be held with high regard. While one minute my goal may be to get A’s on all assignments, the next minute my goals shift to just being stress free and maintaining peace.


I hope this has helped you!
Sydney Bennett is a junior from Chicago, Illinois. She is a Mass Communications major with minors in both Sociology and Art & Design. She is President of Ambassador's for Christ(AFC) and a member of their Gospel choir at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.