Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Venturing into New Territory

By Genevieve Buthod

Venturing into New Territory

This past week, I had an idea to expand my writing skills, while still contributing to Saint Xavier. I decided it might be fun to write for the Xavierite, the school newspaper, and so I talked to my friend who happens to be the senior features editor. She introduced me to the editor-in-chief, who gave me the contact info for their boss, and *bam*. I am now a writer for the Xavierite! I’m pretty excited because it is just another instance of wanting to achieve a goal at SXU, following through, and actually getting it. I was greeted very warmly by the rest of the staff, and was quickly taught new skills I needed to be a good part of the team. I love having so many opportunities to go after what I love, even though I’m still in college.

Later that week, the Alliance headed a trip to the Chicago History Museum to see the “Out in Chicago” exhibit. It was an extensive look at GLBT history in our city that many may never have learned about growing up here. It served as a reminder that hidden histories do in fact exist, they have just been subject to such an effort to muffle them that we never really get a chance to hear them. Having one’s history be told and therefore somewhat validated is an incredible tool of power that not many have the privilege of truly possessing. It made me happy to see a small change in this pattern and to read the stories of some of Chicago’s first gay rights activists. It was nice to remember that this history extends far back beyond Stonewall.

Another adventure of the past week was up to Logan Square for a friend’s Halloween get-together, full of artsy Columbia students. We also stopped in the Hot Diggity Dog vintage sale, complete with a vegan food truck, dogs running around, and all the proceeds going to a stray rescue group in Chicago. All in all, a fairly successful Halloween weekend.

Genevieve Buthod is a sophomore, and a double major in computer science and philosophy. She is a women’s studies minor, and thinking about a music minor as well. Genevieve is an officer in the Alliance (the GSA) and is a happy, healthy vegan. She is also involved with the Students for Justice in Palestine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.