Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Things to Remember Come November!

By Luci Farrell

Hello Dear Bloggers,

Happy All Souls Day! As Midterms are over and professors are handing back grades, many scramble for ways to bring up their grades. This can be because of slacking or for others who are on the fence over a grade and just need to bump it up to get that A. Coming from someone who sits on the fence rather often, the last stretch of the semester is very important. There are a few things that can help you focus on classes and might help you gain those few extra points you need.

Point #1: DO NOT MISS ANYMORE CLASSES.
Seriously. Most professors allow you to miss two or three classes before it affects your grade. These days are used (as far as I am concerned) for three reasons. Reason One: You are actually too sick to come to class. Reason Two: Mental health day. Reason Three: You are cramming for another test or paper. Once you hit November, you should do all in your power not to miss any more classes. Your professors will look around to see who is still in class for one (believe it or not, most do notice) and your attendance, even if you’re just in class to review an exam already taken, it is important. I know some professors, especially when the attendance for that day is low, will give a pop quiz to help those in class. This pop quiz might be anything from a question he answered two minutes before to the title of the class. Not only do things like that help, but paying extra attention and asking questions is a way to boost your participation grade and help you in the long run. This may not be enough to make up for the rest of your semester, but in these last few weeks the extra effort will help.

Point #2: The Pen is Mightier than the Keyboard
I know this kills everyone to read, but sometimes the pen does indeed beat the keyboard. This is also coming from a blogger, so I realize the irony. This can, however, be true when it comes to studying. There is some difference between handwriting notes and typing them. When I am in class I type my notes due to time limitation (I’m a quick typist, but slow with my handwriting), but when I make notes before an exam I handwrite them out, especially during finals. Seeing important information in your own handwriting does help with comprehension. It has also been said that the more you write something the better you remember it. So take your notes and write out the key points. Write out the summary points at the end of each chapter on your exam and notice the change in how you remember information. In addition to writing things out, there are a few color tricks. One thing that I used to do was color coordinate my binders with my class. Use colored note cards. Blue is a color many advertisers use because of the idea of serenity it portrays. Many things we read on a blue background stay with us. The other main advertising color is red. It’s bright, it’s bold, and it captures attention easily. I bet right now you’re thinking of red and you may be thinking about a major company. Target? Coca Cola? Netflix? Marvel (for all my geeky friends)?

Point #3: Map it Out
Okay, this is the simplest point I can make. Map out your exams, papers, meetings, and everything else. One of my greatest investments have been whiteboards. Aside from my giant whiteboard I bought to help map out my train of thought for senior project (it also doubles as a board of quotes and cute messages left behind by friends), I also have a whiteboard calendar. Classes, meetings, birthdays, and paydays each have their own color when I write them on this calendar. The calendar hangs by my door so when I leave and come home I get another reminder of what the week ahead looks like. I also see how everything fits for the rest of the month so I never forget. This helps you manage your days. Maybe you have three papers due Monday, but you forgot about that service project that you want to do. Work around it. Figure out the hours you’ll be gone and see if any of your other days are free. Some professors cancel a class or two before the end as workdays so you can really dive into a project. Use those days to your advantage. Sleep in an extra hour (no more) and get down to business. Write that paper, make those notes, and get it done!

Keep in mind, when I write these blogs I want to help you, but in a way I’m helping myself. So enjoy dear readers as we help each other.

As always if you have a question or comment shoot me an e-mail or leave a comment on the blog!
Until next time. Same Cougar time, same Cougar place!

Keep Calm and Notecard On

Luci Farrell is a senior from New Haven, CT. She is an Organizational Communication major with a minor in Anthropology. Luci is a Resident Peer Minister on campus and chair of the Honors Program Advisory Council at Saint Xavier University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.