Friday, January 13, 2012

Last Semester: Favorite Flashback / This Semester: New Opportunities

By Sydney Bennett

Last Semester: Favorite Flashback / This Semester: New Opportunities

One event that I really wanted to blog about but, did not get the chance to was, our gospel concert! It was such a success and many students came out. We held it on a Friday night before Thanksgiving Break, in the Chapel. The gospel choir which included current and previous SXU students sang seven songs and wore shirts that displayed qualities of our faith and values. We also invited other dancers, singers, and poets to perform. At the end we prayed as a group. It was so powerful to experience the love and acceptance was felt across the room. That was for sure one of my favorite memories of last semester.


This new year and semester has me thinking about being open to a fresh semester and new memories. While preparing to have a new roommate because mine is leaving for an internship in Washington, D.C. (GO Mona!), I really noticed something. Do we really embrace changes and new opportunities, especially with people? Having to transition away from old high school friends into college and each semester being surrounded by new classmates and professors, forces students to rotate. I noticed that sometimes it is good to be separated from people we are close to because it allows us to be open and receptive to new people who we can give to and gain from.

I was talking to a friend who lives out of state and she said that when she came back to campus, she noticed friends were acting different towards her. You never really know what to expect in a new semester, but there’s always hope. We have new chances to meet other people and fresh opportunities to join clubs and participate in activities. For example, yesterday I went to an event the school offered to go bowling at Brunswick. I ended up bowling with one of my suitemates and two other students I just met. It was refreshing to bond with new people and I even made a few strikes!

Throughout all of the newness, I am happy that one experience has transferred, my opportunity to blog. It has been so much fun to write and share pieces of my life publically. It honestly makes me look at my life as one that is kind of cool J and lived, not just existed. So, I plan on embarking on a few new and different opportunities and I am excited to share them with my readers. Today is our first real day of winter snow, that’s new too. Let’s just embrace it all, change what we can for the better, and accept the rest.

Sydney Bennett is a junior from Chicago, Illinois. She is a Mass Communications major with minors in both Sociology and Art & Design. She is President of Ambassador's for Christ(AFC) and a member of their Gospel choir at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.