Friday, January 13, 2012

We're at it Again

By Dorothy J. Hill

We’re at it Again

Alright so here we are, back in the swing of things. Everyone I’m sure enjoyed their break but felt that it was a little too short. I kind of felt that way too, but I’m in a different place. Here it is... the final countdown. It’s all a little surreal for me honestly. It’s like I have always imagined being in this position, but it feels much different when you have actually experienced it. I’m really excited though. I only legitimately have one class. Now according to my schedule I have about 10 credits, which is also awesome. But, technically I have one class, two lessons for voice and piano and two rehearsals. How much better can it be? Especially when you’re doing something you love, which in my case is singing.

Aside from focusing on finishing my studies here at SXU, I have had to apply to grad school. It can be a very daunting task in dealing with all that is required for the application itself. You always want to make sure that you make the best impression possible especially through writing. I must have gone through several drafts to make it as close to perfect because it is so difficult to show who you really are through paper. But, I think I did a pretty good job.

For me, it is just one of those things that keep me in the right perspective. Time is definitely flying and May will be here before you know it. From this point forward, I am just taking things a day at a time. After graduation comes the real world and SXU has prepared me enough to feel confident that I will be successful in life.

Back at school there are plenty of things to do to keep me busy. Between classes, being the Training Coordinator for the Student Ambassador Program, preparing for my senior recital (which is April 16 at 7:30 p.m., McGuire Hall), several opera performances of “The Magic Flute”, and being a private voice and piano instructor, I have much to do. But I’ve been able to find a good balance between it all. Plus, I am a choir director at a church. Though it seems like a lot, it really isn’t. Again, I reiterate, it is a lot easier when you’re doing something that you love and I absolutely love to sing.

It is my hope that by the end of the semester I will have made a catastrophic change, in a good way though. I have been grateful for the experiences and relationships I have gained over the past few years of being a student at SXU. It has been a very enriching and rewarding one. As I have stated before, learning for life is one of the core values that I honor the most out of all eight. However, the other seven are just as important but are culminated within learning for life.

Each day is an opportunity to learn and do better than before. I am so excited about this spring 2012 semester and the year as a whole. I hope that it is a fulfilling for you as I know it will be for me. Take advantage of what is offered to you. I have and it has had a tremendous affect on the way I have operated as a student and a person a whole. If things didn’t go too well for you last semester, make it a goal to do better. Always bring your A-game and do the best you possibly can at all times.

Peace and blessings!

Dorothy J. Hill is a senior from Chicago, IL. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance. Dorothy is a Student Ambassador and currently serves as the Training Coordinator at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.