Tuesday, February 21, 2012

New Opportunities

By Genevieve Buthod

This week, I have been swamped with privilege. I have been working very hard to complete my applications for internships by their deadlines. This includes writing many separate essays and mailing in transcripts, as well as begging for letters of recommendation many times over. I am lucky enough to have been nominated for the Schmitt Scholarship, as well, which is an honor. However, the deadline for the application is this Friday, and I am struggling to keep myself together until then!

I am looking forward to each of the possible internships for this summer. I have applied to seven separate Research Experiences for Undergraduates around the country, at schools from Harvey Mudd to Texas A&M to DePauw. These research opportunities would provide me with the chance to apply my computer and technology skills from my major to social issues I am passionate about, like music and education.

Another opportunity I have been pursuing lately is the chance to participate in the Democratic campaign this year. Earlier today, I had an interview at the office of Anthony R. Martin, Democratic Independent running for the position as the 35th District State Representative. The interview went well, and I am lucky enough to now be a part of the campaign effort! I’m not sure what I will be doing just yet, but I will keep you posted on anything interesting that affects student life.

On that note, I am also meeting with the Executive Director of the St. Louis City Democrats next week when I am home in St. Louis for spring break. I’m taking advantage of the chance to be home for a week and have scheduled an interview for a possible summer internship with that campaign, as well.

I have quite a few opportunities in front of me right now; the hard part is just narrowing them down and trying to choose which path to follow. I guess I will let fate decide for me, for now. Whichever internships I get, I will go with! See you next week, and have a great spring break everybody.

P.S. don’t forget to do your FAFSA by March 1st for priority consideration….

Genevieve Buthod is a sophomore, and a major in Computer Science with a minor in Philosophy. She is a happy and healthy vegan. She is also the TIAA-CREF Campaign Manager for Students for Justice in Palestine. Genevieve is the Senior Viewpoints Editor for the Xavierite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.