Friday, February 17, 2012

Out on the Town


By Genevieve Buthod



This past Friday, I took advantage of the last winter free admission day at the Art Institute. I am so glad I did! This museum is one of Chicago’s treasures and I feel I don’t get to experience it often enough. I spent a dreamy hour in the Impressionist wing, and another in the Modern Art gallery. I absolutely love the history of it all, and seeing representations of different artists’ perspectives on the world. Below is a picture I took of Henri Toulouse Lautrec’s famous painting of a night at the infamous Moulin Rouge, the old Parisian burlesque dance club. I love getting lost in these paintings and feeling as though I am kicking back, discussing art and literature with the great artists of the time.



My intense Francophilia being stirred, I decided to continue on down Randolph across the river to have dinner at the Chicago French Market. If you have never visited this adorable little market, it is worth it simply for the cultural experience. The first counter that greeted me as I walked in the door was a colorful display of macarons, in perfect flavors like Earl Grey, Lavender, and Nutella. Keep walking, and you can find any kinds of things you could want to eat, be they fresh crêpes, delicious Belgian fries, or pickled beets (my favorite!). If you think you want to check it out for yourself, the link to the website is right here: http://www.frenchmarketchicago.com/index.php . I highly recommend it!

Finally, I decided to celebrate Valentine’s Day in a slightly unique way. Because we had a professional development day and therefore no classes, I took a few friends out to the Shedd Aquarium, which was having yet another free day! I have never even been to an aquarium before, and I think the Shedd was the perfect place to start. We saw many different creatures, including everything from a giant Anaconda to tiny seahorses. Below is a picture of the eel in the Caribbean tank in the center of the aquarium. But my favorite creature all day was definitely the older gentlemen in a scuba suit casually cleaning the tank filled with sharks and stingrays!



I guess I should get back to focusing on assignments, but it’s nice to occasionally be reminded that the world is bigger than the campus I live in. I hope you get a chance to do the same before the semester is finished!

Genevieve Buthod is a sophomore, and a major in Computer Science with a minor in Philosophy. She is a happy and healthy vegan. She is also the TIAA-CREF Campaign Manager for Students for Justice in Palestine. Genevieve is the Senior Viewpoints Editor for the Xavierite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.