Thursday, March 29, 2012

Campus Life Events Review

By Sydney Bennett

There were two campus events that occurred last week that I really wanted to feature on my blog. With classes and other activities that keep us busy, it's always good to attend events on campus to spend time with other students we might not always get to see. Last week there were two drastically different events that I attended. However, they both turned out to be celebrations.

The first event was a memorial for Darius Parish, a bright SXU junior who was killed last year. When I first heard of the news I was really troubled like so many other students, faculty, and staff. He even inspired one of my previous blogs. So, I thought it was a great idea that President Wiseman, Professor Baker, students, faculty, staff and family and friends of Darius officially gathered together to remember him. I was proud of the turnout of so many that came to support in the chapel. My friends and SXU students Krystal and Teonia each gave personal accounts on how kind and funny Darius was. Professor Baker, who I had for Psych 101, talked about how Darius was one of the brightest students he ever had in his Stats class. Darius's grandmother gave some of her last memories of Darius and his parents accepted a certificate of attendance from President Wiseman. It was a sad event, but one that brought us all together and made us realize what we had in common as people. I hope Darius' legacy continues to encourage people to live a life of love and excellence.

The next event I went to later on in the week was SXU's first Miss Scarlet and Mr. Grey Pageant. My roommate and I decided to take a break from studying, homework, and lounging around (lol) to attend the pageant. It was quite entertaining. I was also happy to see the support from President Wiseman and other staff as judges. Ten girls and two guys from SXU contended for the crowns. They showcased three outfit changes and strutted down the stage in McGuire Hall. They also showcased various talents from poetry, to martial arts, to yo-yoing. In the end crowd favorites Jordan and Victoria won the crowns and titles. The pageant is something that SAB hopes to continue each year. Overall it was a good time; you never really know all of the talents of the people around you on campus.

Until the next blog,

Keep shining,

-Sydney

Sydney Bennett is a junior from Chicago, Illinois. She is a Mass Communications major with minors in both Sociology and Art & Design. She is President of Ambassador's for Christ(AFC) and a member of their Gospel choir at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.