Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Discovering

By Luci Farrell

Hello Again Dear Bloggers,

So for those of you who have seen, and for those who have not, we have our first vlog up! The vlog went up last week and it was exciting, albeit terrifying for me. Of course, in my mind I have a face for radio and a voice for blogging. I did, however, enjoy getting to do it and hearing reactions has been rather nice. A few messages from friends have even hit levels of extreme entertainment. My favorite was, “Man, your hair looks AMAZING.”
After all, what is college for if not pushing yourself? I hate being recorded or filmed in anyway, yet I did a vlog. I used to hate making speeches, yet I find myself presenting all the time. Trying new things lets you learn about areas you could excel at and ideas that interest you. How do we learn about new ideas? Well dear bloggers, I am quite glad you are so curious. (Even if you are not, let us just pretend you are.)

About a year ago, a friend from high school sent me a Facebook message full of exclamation points and fan girl blathering. It was a video of Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love, speaking on nurturing creativity.
Watch Elizabeth Gilbert Speak Here

I could not help but like this woman after watching her speak. As an amateur writer, anytime I get to hear a published author speak about writing and its perils I cannot help but listen. Their ideas, tips, and experiences give me a want to push myself further.

After watching this video I found myself going through the video archive and watching other videos. This site was full of talks from individuals of every field imaginable. TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It is a conference set to bring people together from the worlds of Technology, Entertainment, and Design (TED).

As happens most often in my life, I watched videos for several hours straight and did not look at the site again until about two months ago. I came across TED again while downloading new apps for my iPad. Now I can watch videos categorized by topic and time, straight from my iPad. There are videos that are funny, inspiring, and informative. Just look at some of TED’s themes. Listening to Teachers is about teachers who have new ideas about the classroom such as classroom designs, rethinking lesson plans, and even re-inventing the role of teacher and student. Then you have Food Matters, talking about growing, cooking, consuming food, while making sure there will be food for all. Those are only two aspects of all that TED holds.

So as you experience life and uncover new ideas, remember that you must push yourself. Become something you can be proud of. Tell your story in the best way you know how. So from one storyteller to another, I will leave you with one last video…
The Technology Of Storytelling: Joe Sabia

Remember bloggers:
Keep Calm and Change the World

Luci Farrell is a senior from New Haven, CT. She is an Organizational Communication major with a minor in Anthropology. Luci is a Resident Peer Minister on campus and chair of the Honors Program Advisory Council at Saint Xavier University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.