Thursday, April 19, 2012

College Should Be

By Sydney Bennett

 We’re nearing the end of the semester where everyone is basically over most of their classes or to put it in better terms; we’re excited for our summer breaks! This is a time when classes can become repetitive and not interesting, but I’ve found that they don’t have to be. Even towards the end of the semester classes can be enjoyed. I’ve found that some of mine still are enjoyable. Furthermore, college should be an enjoyable experience, not just something we do in between the time or to get a job. College should be... Enlightening I know I’m not the only one that has had those a’ha moments. The moments where you develop a greater understanding or find a missing link. Usually your enlightening moment comes after a challenge. That’s what college should create. A challenging atmosphere that encourages us to evaluate and criticize, to help shape our views. I’ve had plenty of professors here that did not necessarily share the same faith or background with me, but their classes helped enlighten me. The best enlightening moments are the ones where you feel closer to yourself, something feels relatable to you. College should be enlightening. Encouraging We all know that the state of the world is not exactly ideal. College shouldn’t be an escape from the effects that are displayed here on Earth, but it also shouldn’t bring us down. Am I the only that has been in classes where you leave feeling a little depressed? My best classes are the ones that leave me hopeful for a future and that remind me of the power I possess. I definitely have experienced classes here that have given me confidence, strategies, and a positive outlook on the world. With diversity as one of our main values, beliefs should be accepted. College should be encouraging. Expressing Maybe it’s just me that loves to express, but I have a feeling it’s not. There is so much talent that I’ve seen on campus when we have comedy shows, talent shows, and open mics. It’s amazing to see how my peers are able to express themselves. A lot of my art classes have given me this gift. But even when we have to write critical analyses and give feedback in class discussions, it all helps. Our college experience should help us find our favorite and best ways to express ourselves. It should also help strengthen our personal ways of expressing in weaker areas. College should be expressing. Those are just a few ideas of what I think college should be and I can honestly say it has been here for me. What else do you think college should be? In the midst of the hard work, early mornings, and challenging times don’t forget to look at the beauty of college. All of the things that college could and should be for you should be kept in your remembrance.

Sydney Bennett is a junior from Chicago, Illinois. She is a Mass Communications major with minors in both Sociology and Art & Design. She is President of Ambassador's for Christ(AFC) and a member of their Gospel choir at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.