Friday, April 13, 2012

Capping Off a Great Experience

By Dorothy J. Hill

There are just a few weeks remaining in the spring semester and things are getting hectic. It’s best to try to plan things out as much as possible, but sometimes it is rather difficult to achieve this task. You have to have some fun in between the work as well. You can’t be one-sided. I mean, honestly, that’s no fun at all. Between finalizing plans for graduation and figuring out what the next step is, I am still living in the moment. One of the greatest things to take place this semester was the President’s Scholarship Ball at the Hilton Chicago, in downtown Chicago last month. That was an amazing evening.

Every year, the Student Ambassador Program selects 12 to 14 special ambassadors to attend the ball. We assist with fundraising as our primary duties for the evening, but we also have the opportunity to network with many of Saint Xavier’s dignitaries, alumni and investors. Not only that, but we also have the opportunity to show how beneficial the scholarships are that we receive as students. This was my second time attending the ball and first time working it as an ambassador. The first time I was invited was by invitation from the Vice President of Enrollment and Recruitment, Kathleen Carlson. That was an epic evening, but this year turned out to be even better.

There was dinner and dancing and conversation. I enjoyed myself during the evening, but what made the night even better was having the opportunity to sing. The program included honoring John and Patricia (Smith) Morris, whom the Smith-Morris quadrangle is named after, and from which Mrs. Morris is an alumni of Saint Xavier University. It was just a few days before her birthday and President Wiseman asked if I and another ambassador could sing “Happy Birthday” to her and we did. It was absolutely wonderful to be able to do what I love to do, which is sing and what better of an occasion to do it at than one where we are trying to raise money for student scholarships.

I must say, this was a great point in my collegiate career and added to the many wonderful moments I am experiencing as I near the end of my time as an undergraduate student. The ambassadors looked lovely in their formal attire and I didn’t do so bad myself. I love the time I have spent here and all of the things that I have been able to experience as an ambassador and student alone. Getting involved has really paid off and I am glad that I changed my mind about it. I can’t wait until I am able to experience even more.

Dorothy J. Hill is a senior from Chicago, IL. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance. Dorothy is a Student Ambassador and currently serves as the Training Coordinator at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.