Sunday, April 15, 2012

Favorite Classes

By Sydney Bennett

With only a few more blogs left I wanted to do something that I really enjoyed last semester, a blog about my favorite classes. I think it’s important to actually enjoy your college courses, especially the further you go along in your college journey. It’s always helpful to hear professor and class suggestions from other students. So, the following have been some of my favorite classes this semester.

Computer Graphics:
I took this introduction class because I needed an elective, I really wanted to experience creating my own magazine, and my previous class with Professor Peck was pretty fun. A couple of my friends had taken the class before me and I was also contemplating an Art minor. I’m happy I made this choice. A lot of times students end up needing extra classes to fill their credit requirements, so they take whatever class is the easiest and available. But sometimes they have nothing to really show for it. I’ll admit that this class was a lot of work, but having an end product was so worth it. In the beginning of the semester we did a lot of practice drawing on the computer and learning about art basics. The rest of the semester was on re-creating any shape that we wanted and creating a magazine around our artwork. The magazine was of course the most rewarding part for me. I was able to also include a lot of my photographs from last semester in the magazine. What I liked about this class was the ability to creatively express, leaving with something that I can physically have forever, and a lot of the technological skills we learned in Adobe InDesign. I definitely recommend this class; you’ll probably be surprised at what you’re capable of.

Leadership Communication:
This was a class that I hadn’t really heard anything about. I took it as a Communication elective requirement and because I really enjoy my advisor and freshman speech instructor, Prof. McAvoy. The majority of this small class was communication majors, but I think it’s a good choice for anyone who wants to brush up on their leadership skills. The class taught me various leadership styles, keys to success, and ways to step it up as a leader. It has a really fun class that has included projects and presentations, but ones that you actually enjoy giving. I recommend this class for anyone who wants to boost their self-confidence and become a better leader.

Mind, Self, & Society:
In pursuit of Sociology minor, I chose this class because a friend recommended it and Prof. Fritz who I had for Soc 101 really inspired me. This class is based around 3 books that really help you introspect and become more aware of the world around you. It was a class where you were encouraged to share your life events and honest opinions. I often left this class feeling motivated and like I had control over my destiny. I recommend this class for anyone who loves Sociology and thinking about the world around them.

Hope this helped you! Below is an online version of the magazine I created for Computer Graphics, feel free to take a look.

Sydney Bennett is a junior from Chicago, Illinois. She is a Mass Communications major with minors in both Sociology and Art & Design. She is President of Ambassador's for Christ(AFC) and a member of their Gospel choir at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.