Saturday, April 28, 2012

Your Presence Will Be Missed

By Dorothy J. Hill

The end has finally arrived. We always anticipated it and yearned for it to be here time and time again, but no more will you have to wish for it. It is a bittersweet feeling to end something that you want to continue but such is life. Things change and people move on to bigger and better things.

I have been a student at St. Xavier for 5 years. Consider me a Super Senior. Though it was not my initial plan, I am grateful for the opportunity and better as a person for the experiences. As time winded down, I found myself constantly saying 'well, I don't have to do this anymore or deal with this or that.' As excited as I am to progress forward, there's a small part of me that wants to stay. I have built some of the greatest relationships that I would have not ever imagined could take place. It's almost overwhelming.

From the moment I decided to be active as a student beyond the classroom, my life changed tremendously and has aided in my development as an adult and my understanding of life as a whole. The opportunities and experiences I've had, in addition to the relationships I have built, have all had a long lasting impact on me. It is my hope to take what I have acquired and make applicable to all aspects of life.

I will truly miss being a student because I was in the position to bring about a positive impact to others and shine my light as a singer. I was able to connect with others in a way that was special and sincere. I have been able to connect with dignitaries such as the President, Vice-Presidents, many members of the faculty and staff as well as my colleagues. Even though after a while the thought will dissipate, I know and believe that my presence will be missed. Now, let me say, I am a nobody. I am nobody. I'm just one more student that has made their way through Saint Xavier University, but there are some exceptions. I wasn't the type of student that was into being in as many organizations as possible, trying to make my mark on Saint Xavier politically or socially. That is not something that I cared or care for. I served a purpose and that purpose is coming to fruition as I prepare to depart from this place.

What saddens me the most is that I will no longer be working with the same people I have grown to love and enjoy for the past four and a half years. I won't be able to stop across the hall and say hello and chat with President Wiseman or Sister Sue. I won't be able to share my excitement with Vice Presidents Carlson, Murphy or Pelrine. I won't be able to pass by and wave hi to Laura, Elena, Eileen, Jackie, Valerie, Therese, Robert, Sheila, Tammy, Carrie, Esther, Margaret, or anyone else that has helped me so much over the 5 years I have been here.

I am content with my decision to be a Cougar. I have no regrets. There are some things that I think I could have done better with or on but I did what I believed was best at that time for that situation. I at least know that I can leave with a high sense of pride as I leave the same way I entered, singing. So, I leave my mark the best way I know how, on a very high note (literally).

Peace and blessings to you all as we transition to a new thing.

Dorothy J. Hill is a senior from Chicago, IL. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance. Dorothy is a Student Ambassador and currently serves as the Training Coordinator at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.