Thursday, February 10, 2011

Surviving the Blizzard

By Lucille Farrell
Hello bloggers!

I hope all of you have been safe and warm after the blizzard that hit. Coming from the east I am always excited for a big storm and have been keeping a running track of the snow that fell in Chicago to the amount that hit back home. I should mention, however, that the thunder snow was both amazing and terrifying. I’m not sure how good of an idea it was to go outside to take some pictures in the snow when lightning is flashing behind the sheets of white pouring from the sky.

On a similar note I had my first college snow day, which was rather fun. My roommates and I all stayed in watching movies, playing a ridiculous amount of UNO, and had a huge pasta night with some other friends down the hall. It’s amazing what creations you can make with a microwave, I promise all tasted good. My roommates were actually quite surprised with my pasta alfredo with some chopped up mushrooms. I was just as surprised that everything was good. The art of making a full blown meal is a skill anyone can learn and refine. It’s one of the ultimate college adventures.

So as a trudge by my classes I find that I’m battling a horrible bug that is coming on and the fact my birthday is coming up. My 21st birthday is this Saturday, the 12th. Two of my friends are suppose to take me out on an adventure to the North Side. We are thinking of a nice dress up dinner, lots of pictures, and then coming back to the dorms to be lazy and dressed up for the rest of the night. It may not sound all that exciting to most, but it’s the perfect way for me to spend my birthday. I’m not one of those people who tends to go out of their way to celebrate my birthday, I just like the average quite night with a few friends and maybe cake. Cake is a nice sign of a celebration.

Another important factor on campus right now is the process of new Student Leader positions. This is when students at SXU can apply to help out around campus. Positions include appointments as Resident Assistants (RAs), Resident Housing Assistants (RHA), Resident Peer Ministers (RPMs), Peer Ministers (PMs), Student Activity Board (SAB), and Student Government Association (SGA). The positions are set out to bring the campus community closer together and give students a chance to prove their leadership roles. I am actually applying to be a Resident Peer Minister for next year. Resident peer ministers are student ministry leaders selected to assist Hall Ministers in their ministry. The job is to accompany, encourage and support students in personal growth and spiritual development. RPM’s provide student with someone to listen to their personal problems and concerns, give support, and just be there when they are needed. While RPM’s are faith based one does not need to be Catholic to take the position. As long as they encourage others to live in their faith and be good to others, all are welcome to apply.

Looking into Student Leadership positions is, in my opinion, a huge part of getting into campus life. While clubs are important, these other leadership positions allow you to meet others you might not normally meet because of different interests, but still a common goal. I hope you all remember this as you look into your schools and decided to become more involved.

Happy Blogging!
Peace, Love, and Cougars!
Lucille Farrell is a junior Organizational Communications major with a minor in Anthropology. She is originally from New Haven, CT and is involved with the Honors Student Advisory Council, Student Government Association (SGA) and Anthropology Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.