Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Favorite Classes

By Sydney Bennett


My Favorite Classes & Assignments So Far!


Now that we have about a month left of classes for this semester, I am beginning to reflect on my favorites. Although, I still have a substantial amount of assignments due before the end of the semester, I have a pretty good idea on which classes I have enjoyed the most. They would have to be my Video Production class and my Digital Photo class. Just because those classes have been the most enjoyable out of five, does not mean they have been the easiest!

In Television Production, I came in not really knowing what to expect. Our school is not exactly known as a media school and I wondered what type of skills I would gain. I have been able to learn many technical skills that will help me if I choose to go into video production. A lot of what I learned was trial and error. In this class we learn video recording techniques and various other roles and positions. However, it is one thing to read about something in a book and another to actually put those techniques into physical practice! I found that sometimes I would get frustrated because I wanted to know exactly what I was doing while recording and editing, but some knowledge comes with practice and experience.


This class taught me the beauty of “learning as I go”. I also like the creativity the class has given me with being able to personally edit work and pick topics that are interesting to me. For one of my assignments, we had to film a How-To video. I used a friend as a model and showed my viewers how to achieve different looks with one scarf. It was so much fun being in the role of director, fashion designer, and editor! I probably would have not known what I was capable of if I didn’t have to rise to the challenge. I can thank this class for showing me this.


Digital Photo has also been a creative release for me and I always like having an art class in my schedule for that very reason. We have had various assignments of capturing pictures from different angles, designs, and perspectives. One of my favorite moments in that class, was right after class ended one rainy day and I was completely inspired. Our class just turned in an assignment that involved focusing on light and colors. It was raining outside and I looked down and saw a water rainbow formation on the ground. I was immediately inspired and whipped out my camera to take a picture. I was later able to turn in the picture for a grade. Digital Photo has taught me the beauty of the creativity everyone is capable of and to always be prepared for inspiration!



I think it’s a good idea to reflect on some of your classes and assignments. You may not be in love with all of your classes, but you have probably had an enjoyable moment in at least one. Feel free to share!

Sydney Bennett is a junior from Chicago, Illinois. She is a Mass Communications major with minors in both Sociology and Art & Design. She is President of Ambassador's for Christ(AFC) and a member of their Gospel choir at Saint Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Xavier University is not responsible for any incorrect, inaccurate or inappropriate content posted on this blog, nor do the views or opinions posted by Saint Xavier University's followers represent the University.